Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

They'll Just Disappoint Me...

Those are words I heard from a hurting woman today. The mom of one of my (yes I'll admit it) favourite students. This little guy captured my heart the first week of school and never let go!
I discovered they attend a church I used to attend and do Children's Ministry in for over a decade. I kinda figured they went to church somewhere the day he sat on my lap and sang "There's Power in the Blood". :)
I figured from a few comments over the past weeks that all was not going so well with him in Sunday School. Today I asked her point blank how he does in Sunday School. Apparently all he does is sit by himself in a corner and read books. He doesn't participate, isn't engaged. So I offered to talk with her church. I explained that there are many simple adaptations churches can make to support him. Some churches appoint one on one volunteers to work with special needs kids.
She told me that she didn't want me to. It would just get her hopes up and then they would disappoint her.
*Can you hear my heart breaking at this point?*
Now I know that pretty much no one reads this but I needed to vent so here it is.

No comments: