Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Monday, April 11, 2011

What do you make?

Recently I watched a clip of a teacher who spoke at a convention. At a fancy dinner party a high-paid lawyer at the table started a rant about teachers & how no one can expect much from students that are taught by teachers when the only reason to become a teacher is because you can't do anything worth any money. He then turned to the teacher & condescendingly asked, "You're a teacher. Be honest, what do you make?"

The following rant is my response to those who would ask me a similar question.

What do you make?:

I make a 6 yr old child speak for the first time when his parents & speech therapists have given up years ago

I make actually stopping when I say “stop” feel like winning an Olympic gold medal

I make parents who are at the end of their rope see their child in a new light & fall in love with them all over again

I make children who have known nothing but abuse & neglect feel safe, unconditionally loved & free of fear

I make “normal” kids not just accept their special needs peers but become fast friends & recognize & appreciate what each person brings to the classroom

I make children who have been given up on by therapists, psychiatrists & the foster care system happy, healthy, responsible kidsI make families stronger

I make children happier.

I make a difference every day.

That's what I make.

2 comments:

Erie said...

"Love" is not a strong enough word for how I feel about this post.

Manda said...

"Love" is not a strong enough word for how I feel about YOU! ;) (& your adorable babies)