Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

5...4...3...2...1!

Last week one of the most monumental things to happen in my teaching career occurred on a boring, typical afternoon.
J & I were sitting at a table doing one of his favourite activities. Hand over hand we write numbers on a sheet of paper, then he points at them while I count out loud. Once in awhile I pause before saying the number, he then shifts his gaze to make eye contact with me & I say the number. If I pause too long he sometimes puts his hand on my face & opens my mouth. So cute.
That day I felt like pushing things a bit so I was pausing a lot more than usual & for longer intervals. J (who recently turned 6) apparently got sick of waiting for me to say the numbers, so he said them instead!!!
This is a 6 yr old boy who has never in his life spoken in any way that could be construed as purposeful communication. He makes odd noises, hums, etc. but that's it.
He was pointing to the numbers starting at 10 counting down, when he got to 5 I stopped saying the numbers & he went "Fie...fo...wee...oo...un." as he pointed at each number. Then he kept doing it! He counted from 1 to 10 next. And kept going and going. I sat beside him with my hand over my mouth & tears running down my face. I waved my one EA over cuz I barely trusted myself to speak & she crouched behind him & listened to it too (so I wasn't hallucinating).
I seriously was crying & shaking for the rest of the afternoon. When I told his mom after school she was in complete shock. At first she didn't believe me (I don't blame her), then she was so excited.
Sadly, he hasn't done it again since, but we're still trying! The important thing is this is a monumental breakthrough. I have to remind myself that when he first signed "more" it took weeks & weeks of repetition before he would do it regularly, so I'm not giving up!
He WILL speak!! :D

2 comments:

Erie said...

Amanda, this is amazing!! You have one of the most amazing (among other things) jobs I know of. I love to read about the everyday miracles you witness in your children!

Yay J!!!

Lois said...

Yeah for J and Yeah for his Teacher! (:
You have such a fabulous opportunity to affect these precious little lives!
Thanks for sharing... (: