Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, June 2, 2013

There's Something About Rainy Days...

There's just something about soft, rainy days.  With the fresh breeze bringing the smell of spring (finally), the birds at last returned twittering in the trees, a hot cup of coffee in my hands & my puppy at my feet.  It gets me feeling all introspective & calm.  I love mornings like this because they get me thinking.  You know what?  My life is pretty fan-freaking-tastic.
Yes, I have a baby sleeping that is currently recovering from the stomach flu.  She was up at 1am, up at 8am, cried for an hour & is now back down.
Yes, I was awake all night thanks to an overactive brain & pregnancy insomnia (one of life's cruel jokes).
Yes, my poor, exhausted hubby who is also battling the stomach flu is passed out upstairs after getting home from work at 2 am.
My kitchen is a mess of dirty dishes & unwashed bottles.  My living room is littered with the accoutrements of caring for a sick baby & I have more loads of stinky laundry than I care to think about waiting for me.
I'm pretty sure the bath toys from last night are still littering the floor of the shower & I'm not sure what (or even if) our family is going to eat today with the way we've all been feeling.
But, sitting here on our back porch, breathing in the rainy air, sipping my coffee, life is great.
Life is great in despite of & because of the hassles I just listed.  Life is great because of what all these things add up to mean.  I have a family.  A beautiful, amazing, (typically healthy) family that I would do anything for.  Including let my house get turned into a disaster, sacrifice my much needed sleep & wash non-stop poop & vomit covered laundry.
No, I don't always feel this way.  If you had asked me at 1am how I felt about life you probably would have gotten a withering glare.  These moments, however, are vital.  These moments where I take it all in stride, see the big picture & love it.
That's what rainy days are for.

No comments: