Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Oh right, THAT'S why!

If you have ever known a child with Autism, you know that many times they just don't connect emotionally with others. Many children with Autism will show very little emotion towards family members, friends or caregivers.
We've got a few little guys like that in my class. One of them is very affectionate towards his parents, but does not like other people much at all. He honestly spent the first 6 weeks of school laying beside the door to my room, sobbing. Trust me when I say we tried EVERYTHING to get him engaged or at least distracted. Nothing worked. It was heartbreaking for me and my staff to see him like this but there was nothing we could do.
Over the next few months he slowly improved. He would cry for half the day, then only the first 1/2 hour, then only the first few minutes. Now he is generally a content little man with very few tears. Huge progress! Well today was another huge progress that almost had me in tears.
I went to another room to pick him for a session. He didn't notice me when I came in, so I crouched down beside him, put my hand on his shoulder and called his name. He slowly turned his head, focused on my face for several seconds, made eye contact and SMILED! The hugest, sweetest most beautiful smile you ever saw! He held my gaze for several seconds and smiled away at me. (getting choked up as I type this)
Thank you sweetie, for my making my whole week worthwhile!

No comments: