Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Celebrate the Small Stuff (aka It's ALL Big Stuff)

Anyone who works with (or has) children has heard the phrase, "Celebrate the small stuff!" or something to that effect. Until now I had wholeheartedly agreed. I now see the slight error of that notion. If we're celebrating the small stuff, we're still treating those "small" things as small things. But they're aren't, they are the big things that make everyday a monumental occasion worthy of celebration.
A few days ago one of my 3 yrd old students with Autism ran away from me while we were all in the bathroom. I called his name and he stopped where he was and waited for me to retrieve him.
To anyone reading this I'm sure this is a small thing worthy of no more than a "Good listening". Or perhaps even a reprimand for running away in first place.
However, this is a child who has myriad locks on every door in his house because he WILL and DOES run away from his acreage home. He has no compunction about bolting across a busy road or into a parking lot. He regularly attempts to escape from our classrooms. Never ONCE has he ever stopped just because his name has been called. When I told his mom what happened she was shocked and could hardly believe it. He stopped?!
Now, I ask you, was this a small thing?
The last day of school before the Holidays a 4 yrd old student with Autism put down his toy cars and asked me if he could paint some pictures.
Big whoop, you say?
This is a child who is terrified of anything messy or that can possibly be perceived as messy. Until that day, for 2 yrs this child has had to be cajoled, bribed or physically forced (sometimes all three) to participate in ANY craft for more than 30 sec. And while "participating" he screams, cries, flails and begs to be let free to play with his cars.
He PUT DOWN HIS CARS, walked over to me of his own free will and ASKED to paint more pictures!
Little thing or big thing?
Take another look at the children in your life. Are you overlooking some big things to celebrate?

No comments: